Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article . net,
says...

snippety

We'd like to run a 220V air conditioner during our hot summers
by tapping off the oven's circuit (for reasons I won't go into here,
the oven is never used). The wiring has its own conduit and
junction box in an adjacent cupboard in the kitchen -- it's readily
accessible.

How much effort is involved in adding a few 220V plugs into this
junction box? Is it easy enough for an neophyte to handle?

I would not advise this for numerous reasons.

First and foremost, it's an apartment. Unless you're the building
owner, adding unauthorized wiring and/or plugs could get you evicted in
a big hurry.

Second: You have no way to know for certain how the extra load
will affect existing breakers and wiring.

Third, and perhaps most important: What you describe will likely
violate local electrical codes.

I would ask your landlord or manager about getting an extra outlet
put in. If no joy there, you may want to consider moving (or, better
yet, have you looked into getting your own place?)

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm --
www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"