Simon Elliott wrote:
Our house is a three storey end terrace, built with brick end walls and
with concrete lintels joining the end walls. The side walls (with the
lintels) have a lot of very large windows. The remaining part is
covered with upvc weatherboarding. The house is about 40 years old, and
the lintels have sagged a bit.

Inside, on the top floor, on the side wall, a long horizontal crack has
opened up. It was there when we bought the house, and the survey said
it was nothing to worry about. Every time I fill this crack, it just
opens up again. It's only a millimetre or two wide, and it's not
getting any wider, but I think there must be a little bit of movement
there.

The interior wall is I think some kind of plasterboard attached to the
concrete lintels. The wall is just plastered and painted, there's no
wallpaper.

Can anyone suggest a way of covering over this crack more permanently?

Suggest exposing the brickwork and ensuring your pointing is good. And
not covering it, as you need to know if it continues to move.

NT