Leonard Caillouet

Flyback is unlikely. If you have not serviced these supplies they can be
tricky and if you don't have a scope and a variac you may waste parts and
lots of effort. If the HOT is shorted you likely have bad connections on
the HDT or a bad cap in the H-drive circuit. If this is the case, you would
not likely have had the other parts besides Q601,2 and R607 fail. When you
have other parts fail in the PS it is usually due to something in the PS or
an external cause such a lightning or a power surge. Basically, every part
in the PS primary needs to be tested and the PS needs to be checked as you
start it up slowly for operating frequency, transistor duty cycle, and
output. If you don't have access to the Sony training material it will be
hit and miss. If you try to fix it yourself, make sure to use P rank
2SC4834 transistors, preferably a matched pair. It is not necessary to get
them from Sony as many will tell you. Also, check the VDRs carefully. If
in doubt, change them if you can't test them, though it is not necessary in
all cases (another Sony related myth). I would suspect them in this case,
since you noted the additional parts damaged in the PS.

An experienced Sony tech can fix these quickly. We charge $80 labor, plus
parts for most of them. Also, the CRT needs to be tested at this age to
verify the set is worth fixing.

Leonard

"Vince" wrote in message
Hi.
Does anyone know what all I have to do to get this set going? Both oif the
4834 transistors were blown, the fuse resistor and three of those small
condensers also, the
HOTr chceks good Could I have Flyback trouble?
Thank you for the help
Vince.