Nick Müller

Default Centrifugal casting of zinc(-alloys), anybody?

Hi

I'm thinking about wether I want a centifugal casting machine, mainly
for zinc and it's alloys.
There are machines available but unfortunately, they all want _my_ money
for _their_ stuff. I think that this machine is simple enough to be home
made.

But before I start, I'd like to know how big the parts are that I could
cast. E.g. size and weight.
Has anybody got experience with that?

Next step are the consumables (silicon, etc.) That ain't a problem, I
found suppliers. They give enough descriptions that I know what I need
and how to use.

Last step is building that little machine. Mechanically no problem, but
as far as I know, the commercial machines use rings (that keep the
silicon in place). And I haven't got that much clue how the ring is
fixed to the spinning disk etc. Has anybody photos/links/descriptions of
that setup?

Well, one thing remains: making the negatives. I know that I need some
special silicon (no problem), but do I really need a vacuum pump to get
the bubbles out? Or does this start yet another project: Build your own
vacuum pump?

Nuff questions for now, any input wellcome.

Oh! What I need it for? I want to cast small/decorative parts for model
engines. Lets say size is maximum 50mm for the biggest elongation. As
soon as my HP is up and running, you'll get an impression. But that will
take another week... (and is again a different project)

Thanks,
Nick
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."