ameijers

"Purple Moose" wrote in message
.12...
I've googled all the info I can find but no one seems to have a definitive
answer for my specific question.

We have a south facing front entry that gets blasted by the SoCal sun in
the morning. Wood doors do not survive it. So we're looking at either
fiberglass or steel.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that steel is stronger (more secure) and
less likely to warp with weather but fiberglass looks better. I'm

wondering
which holds up against the beating sun better. My concern over fiberglass
is sort of the same as my experience with boats -- you have to keep em
waxed and covered or the fiberglass dies quickly.

IMHO, your best bet will be a prepainted (not-site painted) steel door. If
you can't get a factory finish in the color you want, call around to local
body shops and see if any will be willing to paint and bake a finish on a
new steel door for you. (ie, buy a prehung or a blank, machine as needed,
and then take in to have painted.) Local body shop I use did that to the
doors on their shop, and they look great. If door won't stand the heat of
baking oven, powder-coating also provides a good hard finish.

aem sends....