Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 28 May 2005 23:15:57 -0400,
wrote:

Knowing a bit of the history of this tank, I KNEW it was welding
related or beverage related
This narrows it down to either oxygen, fuel, or sheilding gas for
welding, or CO2 for beverage carbonation.. Knew it wasn't Oxygen - as
O2 bottles have LH threads.
No smell means not Acetelene, and not propane or MAPP.
That leaves shielding gas or CO2, Argon, Helium, or a mix.
My voice didn't get squeaky, so it's likely not helium, and none of
the others are dangerous in small quantities.

I'm pretty sure it was CO2 - and being as far out of date as the
hydro-test appears to be on it, it will likely end up in the scrap
bin.

Don't be too sure - As long as it isn't rusty, or wasn't dropped too
many times, it's worth a try. Or just turn it in as a straight
exchange and let them worry about the hydro. I bought an original
military 2.5# CO2 extinguisher that was last tested... Let me go grab
it.

Army-Navy CO2 Fire Extinguisher Model E-2 1/2-B
B-2, C-2 Serial #F-491155
Randolph Industries, Chicago 11 Illinois
JAN E 468 ICC 3AA1800
5 47 D A LL11412
NON SHAT SPUN
(Recerts 5 53, 8D^64, 8MF70, 4P85
(Gee, guess it's a bit overdue again...)

The guys at Pioneer Fire were going "Military, Spun tank, that'll
fail." "It's passed before, give it a try." Passed with flying
colors (hence the 4P85 recert and refill) - popped off the belly band,
painted it red, put the belly band back on, and put it on my matching
vintage generator.

I've seen a LOT of "antique" bottles in daily use - go look at the
first entry on the long list of recert dates on some of the ones out
in the bins, and you'll get a surprise.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545