JimL

I just knocked a hole in the wall (brick) and ran 2 inch pvc to the
'outside'.

Sold the house and the new owner has not changed it 5 years later.

On Sun, 8 May 2005 15:57:52 GMT, wrote:

Hello,

I'm remodeling my kitchen and will have the old kitchen sink and faucet
available for use.

I'm toying with the idea of using this sink in the garage.

There is a space in my garage that is a perfect fit for the sink and cabinet
enclosure.

Nearby is the water heater and it's possible (note I'm just saying
physically possible) to tap into the hot and cold water supply using say
reducing tees and run some 1/2 rigid copper down the wall to the center of
this space and terminate them in supply fittings.

The problem is that there is no easy way to tie into the drain waste vent
system. The slab and walls would have to be opened up etc. Not something I
want to bother with.

So the idea I'm toying with is to stub out pvc from the sink drains to just
a vertical piece that would drain into a 5 gal bucket.
I would just empty this bucket into a toilet or outside drain when I'm done.
No, I would not be using dangerous chemicals in this sink. It would be
used mainly when home brewing for some minor cleanup and for a water supply.

I can see the objections being that you don't want to leave goopy water in
that 5 gal bucket to ferment. I think I could discipline myself to simply
empty and clean it after using. I wouldn't be using it to casually wash my
hands every 10 minutes. Just for the hour or so it takes to get a batch of
wort fermenting that I'd do every 2 weeks or so.

I know that this arrangement wouldn't meet code as a permanent fixture.
What I'm wondering is whether the tapping into the supply lines at the water
heater and running that bit of supply plumbing down the wall and terminating
in supply fittings could be done permanently and so as to meet code. If I
ever want to sell the place I'd remove the sink and shut off the supply
valves. Worse comes to worse I could always remove the plumbing and replace
the T's with unions as are there now.

Before you light up those flame throwers note that I'm not up on a step
ladder w/tubing cutter in one hand, a blowtorch in the other, and typing
this with my toes. (forgetting to have shut off the water of course)

Just toying with the idea and am looking for a sanity check.

thanks
ml

ps. What also just comes to mind is running some flexible pipe from the
sink drain stub to a sewer cleanout that's just outside the garage side
door.