David Efflandt

On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:05:37 GMT, Alan Smithee wrote:
A "laundry" sink strainer is different than a sink strainer. It's vertical
with ribs, plugs into the drain hole. It's designed so that as the water
rises (clogs near the bottom) the water can still pour in...up to the height
of the device. It's so that lint, a common problem in laundry systems, won't
clog the flow. What I have on my driveway now is a flat "manhole" type cover
with .5 inch holes in it. I think after viewing some of the suggestions here
and poking around the internet I know what I need. It's a cap which is round
6" wide and rises about 2-3". It'll give me more surface area. I think it's
a type of floor strainer. Most are plastic, I need a metal one, one strong
enough so that if the car accidentally drives over it it won't be crushed.

I guess others (and me) thought you were talking about a laundry hose
strainer, which is just a metal mesh bag to catch wet lint, instead of
letting it go into the sink.

Not sure what it is called, but you likely want something like the raised
grate used on a roof drain (like for a flat roof). So if the lower part
of the grate clogs and water rises, it can still flow into the grate
higher up or under floating debris, and hopefully would not totally clog.
So you might try a web search for 'roof drain'.