DanG

Forget the rubber mallet. Use a regular hammer. It needs to be a
SUBSTANTIAL, QUICK blow - fast and sharp.
Remember the drill and chuck free turn, all that you have holding
the threads one direction is the friction of the motor which ain't
much. You need a quick, fast blow to go quicker than the motor
can turn.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
To elaborate further, my rubber mallet is only 8 oz. Do I need
a heavier one? How long should I pound on it before I just take
it to Sears repair?

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Thanks guys. I got the screw out, that was the "easy" part. I
inserted the hex key, like the directions said and hit is
sharply in a counterclockwise direction. This is where I am
not quite sure what they mean. They said use a mallet. The
only mallet I have is a rubber mallet? Is this the same thing,
or do they mean something different? Could I use a regular
hammer to strike the hex key? Thanks again.

"DanG" wrote in message
Double check your directions. I think they may have said to
first open the chuck as large as possible and use a
torx/Phillips/Allen of such-and- such size to remove the left
hand threaded screw holding the chuck to the spindle. Use a
flashlight or somesuch to look in the hole. Once that screw
is removed (you need to turn it clockwise), the rest of the
directions should work just fine. Make sure you extend the
long arm of the largest Allen wrench you own. It will take a
VERY substantial, quick blow to release the threads. It may
well take several VERY SHARP blows to get it to spin off. As
you look at the drill bit end of the chuck, make sure you are
hitting it in the counterclockwise direction.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in
message news:PZpfe.2134$14.990@trndny03...
Hi everyone. I am trying to remove the keyless chuck from my
19.2 volt craftsman cordless drill. I have followed the
directions in the manual, which said to insert a 5/16 inch or
larger hex key (I used 3/8") and tap sharply in a
counterclockwise direction with a mallet. It then said that
it should be removable by hand. After doing this for 45
minutes, it still won't come off. I even used some Kroil
where the chuck and spindle meet, no luck. Are there any
tricks that I haven't used yet to try and get the chuck off?
Thanks.
Eric