Eric and Megan Swope

To elaborate further, my rubber mallet is only 8 oz. Do I need a heavier
one? How long should I pound on it before I just take it to Sears repair?

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Thanks guys. I got the screw out, that was the "easy" part. I inserted
the hex key, like the directions said and hit is sharply in a
counterclockwise direction. This is where I am not quite sure what they
mean. They said use a mallet. The only mallet I have is a rubber mallet?
Is this the same thing, or do they mean something different? Could I use
a regular hammer to strike the hex key? Thanks again.

"DanG" wrote in message
Double check your directions. I think they may have said to first open
the chuck as large as possible and use a torx/Phillips/Allen of such-and-
such size to remove the left hand threaded screw holding the chuck to the
spindle. Use a flashlight or somesuch to look in the hole. Once that
screw is removed (you need to turn it clockwise), the rest of the
directions should work just fine. Make sure you extend the long arm of
the largest Allen wrench you own. It will take a VERY substantial, quick
blow to release the threads. It may well take several VERY SHARP blows
to get it to spin off. As you look at the drill bit end of the chuck,
make sure you are hitting it in the counterclockwise direction.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I am trying to remove the keyless chuck from my 19.2 volt
craftsman cordless drill. I have followed the directions in the manual,
which said to insert a 5/16 inch or larger hex key (I used 3/8") and
tap sharply in a counterclockwise direction with a mallet. It then said
that it should be removable by hand. After doing this for 45 minutes,
it still won't come off. I even used some Kroil where the chuck and
spindle meet, no luck. Are there any tricks that I haven't used yet to
try and get the chuck off? Thanks.
Eric