OldScrawn

Default Asbestos in loft

Taped in place it sounds to be rather too modern to be asbestos

I agree with all that Peter says. Domestic pipes don't need the temperature
capability of asbestos, but I suppose someone could have filched an industrial
product intended for high pressure steam pipe. I'd go for damping before and
during removal, wear a mask and gloves, shower and wash overalls afterwards.
Bag in polythene and tape shut. Councils should have special bins (but may only
have one tip per county) and I doubt if they will charge if you take it to
them. If it is asbestos you are supposed to double bag and label it, in
practice the main thing is to get it to relative safety buried in a proper tip.