Andy Cuffe

On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:24:44 -0700, DaveC wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:05:36 -0700, Andy Cuffe wrote
(in article ):

I presume that components are physically attached to the PCB with high-temp
adhesive before soldering. I'm concerned about components on the underside of
the PCB falling off when the solder goes liquid.

If that's not an issue, I'm ready to try it. If I destroy the PCB, I'm not
any further behind; I need a new motherboard anyway...

The components are glued on, but it's possible that some of the glue
has cracked with age and parts could fall off. The surface tension of
the solder should hold the small parts on, but heavy parts could fall
off if the glue has cracked. Put it in the oven with the large parts
on top.

In the factory, they silk screen a solder and flux paste onto the
solder pads, then glue the components on. Finally, it's pulled
through an oven using a conveyer belt. It's important for the board
to get hot enough to melt all the solder, but not hot enough, or long
enough, to damage any of the components. I'm not sure if you could
get even enough heat in a kitchen oven. I have no idea what
temperature you should use, or for how long.

As others have said, a heat gun might be better if you can narrow down
where the problem is.

What ever you decide to try, I would get a junk board to practice on.
A few seconds too long with the heat gun could burn the board.

Let us know if it works. I've never tried anything like this.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005