C & M

Eliminating a portion of a stud is not much of a problem. You will simply
have to provide a header and footer to the opening and uprights on each side
to support them. The biggest problem is probably that outlet. If the wire
is running through your intended opening you will need an electrician to
re-route it. In areas where coding isn't a problem (this probably does NOT
include you) the wiring will have to be cut and a piece spliced in in order
to get aroun the opening. The splices will have to be inside approved
boxes.
"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

"smig" wrote in message
Has anyone ever done this and lived to tell a happy tale? ...

I live in an apartment and want to open up a wall separating my kitchen
from the dining area. There is already a pass-through. I want to

remove
the drywall to the right of it and install shelving units between the
studs and attach doors on both sides of the wall for access from the
kitchen and dining area. From the ceiling down across the length of the
wall above the pass-through I want to remove the drywall and install
patterned glass panels to allow more light to enter the kitchen. I

would
buy the doors and glass panels and make the shelving (which would be
painted on the outside to match the walls). There is an electrical

outlet
box that would have to be relocated about eight inches to the left and

may
or may not have to cross a stud.

Before I start taking down the dry-wall... Is this an idiotic plan or
not? What kinds of "gotchas" could I expect once I start making a mess?
What's the best wood to use for the shelving and how should it be

finished
inside and out (I haven't done well painting unfinished wood before --

the
result was never durable enough).

Things to consider.

If the wall is a load bearing wall removing sheet rock will weaken the

wall
unless you replace the sheet rock with something to help keep the studs

from
bowing. Sheet rock will keep studs from bowing, leaning, etc.
It is very likely that the studs in the walls will not be parallel to each
other.
It is very likely that the studs will not be evenly spaced.