The Real Tom

On Sat, 07 May 2005 23:38:04 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

For a home built in 1983, does an inside laundry room outlet require GFIC
outlets (above the counter and close to the tub)? The laundry room is
between the garage and the living quarters.

My understanding of the NEC 2002(since 05 isn't in force yet in Pa).

If the outlets are normallly used by installed, not easily movible,
equipment(laundry machine and dryer), then no receptacle is normally
availible forother appliances, then NO.

Now if it's an outlet not in placed for installed equipment:
If it's an unfinished room not normally
habited(like a storage or work area), or considered part of the
garage, Yes.

If it's a finished laundry room in the main house,
no.

------ side note -----
As for the 2005, I've been told receptacles serving the utility sink,
yes.

Now I'm not NEC expert, so you need to verify this yourself with your
local authorities. They have precidence, and can enforce stricter
codes. Personally any receptacles that can be used for portable
items(vacum, fan, etc) that exist around grounded items, exposing
people to electricution risk, then I would protect for that. $11
bucks is cheap compared to loss of life.

hth, imho,

tom

My main panel has two GFIC breakers, but I noticed that half of the garage
outlets and most of the exterior outlets are *not* GIFC protected. So much
for home inspections. -- I guess I will have to replace the missing GFIC
outlets, all ten of them.

Thanks for any input