Simon Elliott

Default Cracks keep opening: how to fill?

Our house is a three storey end terrace, built with brick end walls and
with concrete lintels joining the end walls. The side walls (with the
lintels) have a lot of very large windows. The remaining part is
covered with upvc weatherboarding. The house is about 40 years old, and
the lintels have sagged a bit.

Inside, on the top floor, on the side wall, a long horizontal crack has
opened up. It was there when we bought the house, and the survey said
it was nothing to worry about. Every time I fill this crack, it just
opens up again. It's only a millimetre or two wide, and it's not
getting any wider, but I think there must be a little bit of movement
there.

The interior wall is I think some kind of plasterboard attached to the
concrete lintels. The wall is just plastered and painted, there's no
wallpaper.

Can anyone suggest a way of covering over this crack more permanently?

--
Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk