Andrew Gabriel

Default Questions about Under Sink Heaters

In article ,
"Peter" writes:

storage tank and leave the output permanently 'on' (vented). As the
water expands in the heater, the excess drips from the tap. People
try to stop this dripping by turning off the tap harder, and IME the
washer is quickly destroyed and the tap really does start to leak.
Also there's a sort of 5 second delayed action when the tap is opened
or closed. This is not how people expect a tap to behave and also
causes people to turn it off harder, knackering it. I don't see how
this could be used with a mixer.

Any hints on how to change the washer on a vented tap - replacements are
£100... and I cannot see how to take the existing tap apart. Would it be

No idea. I notice the maintenance people at work just gave up on trying
to keep the vented tap working, and have replaced the whole heater with
one which mounts on the wall, with a regular tap on the input.

better to fit a pressure release valve, discharging outside, and then fit an
ordinary tap.

That won't work -- the tank is not designed for mains water pressure.
(It probably does already have a pressure release valve.)

--
Andrew Gabriel