BobS

Some things to consider:

1. Can you legally do this? You said you live in an apartment - could be
you own it - you didn't say but if you rent or lease the landlord might want
a word or two with you before hand - or later during the law suit to recover
any damages...;-)

2. Is it a load bearing wall ? Are you sure - how do you know?

3. If it's a load bearing wall and depending on the local codes, you may
have to have an architect make up some drawings and get them approved before
starting construction. If you jeopardize the integrity of the structure and
it sags or worse - you could be in trouble.

4. I've installed bathroom cabinets in my own walls (non-load bearing) and
had to cut the studs out in between. In my case the sheetrock was not only
nailed to the studs but they used an adhesive. In order to not ruin the
other side of the wall in an adjacent room, I had to use a hacksaw blade to
cut thru the nails and the adhesive to remove the stud sections. No fun. But
you're going all the way thru so that should not be a problem.

5. You indicate you have to move one outlet but are you sure there are not
any other wires or pipes in that wall that you want to put a big hole in?
Vent pipes, water pipes, drain pipes, whole-house vacuum systems, etc.
Pipes and wiring could be from another apartment above/below yours.

See how simple these 10 minute projects can be.....

Bob S.

"smig" wrote in message
Has anyone ever done this and lived to tell a happy tale? ...

I live in an apartment and want to open up a wall separating my kitchen
from the dining area. There is already a pass-through. I want to remove
the drywall to the right of it and install shelving units between the
studs and attach doors on both sides of the wall for access from the
kitchen and dining area. From the ceiling down across the length of the
wall above the pass-through I want to remove the drywall and install
patterned glass panels to allow more light to enter the kitchen. I would
buy the doors and glass panels and make the shelving (which would be
painted on the outside to match the walls). There is an electrical outlet
box that would have to be relocated about eight inches to the left and may
or may not have to cross a stud.

Before I start taking down the dry-wall... Is this an idiotic plan or
not? What kinds of "gotchas" could I expect once I start making a mess?
What's the best wood to use for the shelving and how should it be finished
inside and out (I haven't done well painting unfinished wood before -- the
result was never durable enough).

Thanks in advance for any advice...
-Gene