LRod

On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:21:50 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"
wrote:

She mentioned cork flooring. Sounds ok but periodic re-coatings are
necessary. Are there any disadvantages to cork flooring that I should know
about?

Have it, love it.

I don't know about "re-coatings." I installed a cork laminate (8" x 4'
planks) which is prefinished (doesn't that sound oxymorinish?).

What we love about it is the feel, both with and without shoes on.
It's not soft. It doesn't exactly feel cushiony. But you know you're
on a comfortable surface. It's also a "warm" surface. Not so
temperature-wise, but imagine what your bare foot feels like standing
on stone or tile. There is absolutely none of that with cork. And it
feels "warmer" than wood. It's hard to explain, but when you go to the
flooring store, put down a sample of cork, take off your shoes and
socks, and stand on it and see if you experience the same thing before
they throw you out.

What really impressed me was, expecting it to be quite soft and easily
damaged, after having the dining room table in place for several
weeks, I had to move it and there wasn't even a hint of a mark from
the four quarter-sized plastic feet. Nothing. Again, ours is laminate
(approximately 1/8" surface layer), and other installations may not be
the same.

Although one thinks of cork as very soft and porous it doesn't act
like it. Water spills wipe up easily and don't seem to soak in,
although the care instrudtions advise not to leave any liquids on the
seams.

The one downside? Unlike the wood laminate flooring I've installed
elsewhere whose seems are virtually invisible, the seams on our
laminate seemed as if I had hammered the planks together too hard and
raised a slight, I don't know; welt? where the boards meet. I assure
you I didn't hit them too hard, especially in the final 3/4 of the
installation after I saw how they looked.

However, seams are seams, and every floor has some sort of quirky
characteristic.

Now, having said all that, we barely have a year with our floor.
However, based on what we've experienced so far, we would install it
again.

There was anotherr advantage; I now have a lifetime supply of material
from which to make clamping pads from the leftover planks.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net