smig

Default Making storage to build into wall between studs

Has anyone ever done this and lived to tell a happy tale? ...

I live in an apartment and want to open up a wall separating my kitchen
from the dining area. There is already a pass-through. I want to
remove the drywall to the right of it and install shelving units between
the studs and attach doors on both sides of the wall for access from the
kitchen and dining area. From the ceiling down across the length of the
wall above the pass-through I want to remove the drywall and install
patterned glass panels to allow more light to enter the kitchen. I
would buy the doors and glass panels and make the shelving (which would
be painted on the outside to match the walls). There is an electrical
outlet box that would have to be relocated about eight inches to the
left and may or may not have to cross a stud.

Before I start taking down the dry-wall... Is this an idiotic plan or
not? What kinds of "gotchas" could I expect once I start making a mess?
What's the best wood to use for the shelving and how should it be
finished inside and out (I haven't done well painting unfinished wood
before -- the result was never durable enough).

Thanks in advance for any advice...
-Gene