Edwin Pawlowski

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message

Ceramic tile: Too hard. Any glassware that drops to the floor will
instantly shatter. Grout sucks up spills like a sponge leading to the
dreaded sour milk smell.

Never had that problem in my last house. Some day I'll have at again in
this house. Loved it. Easty to care for, always looked fantastic. We used
some Italian quarry tile. As for the glassware, I've never dropped a pice
on any floor that did not break. Ceramic is my first choice.

One piece linoleum: Generally looks like crap. A real bitch to install.

It has improved from what it used to be. I had mine installed by a pro
though. Not as easily cleaned as ceramic, it is decent looking and has good
utility properties.

Peel and stick squares: They move over time and they generally don't last
too long. Looks cheap.

Yes, last choice.

Wood Flooring: The right floor lasts but installing over a concrete slab
can be a real challenge if one wants to avoid that hollow sound. The
finish doesn't wear well with high traffic and the dogs running with their
nails is a concern. The added height of the wood floor can be an issue.
Then there is the issue of spills.

Consider engineered wood or laminate. Done right, they are durable and the
spil problem is minimal. I have an area with WilsonArt laminate that is in
perfect dondition after about 8 years. I have Mannington engineered wood in
my family room and hallway and it is still good after two years. Factory
finisher are verey durable.

She mentioned cork flooring. Sounds ok but periodic re-coatings are
necessary. Are there any disadvantages to cork flooring that I should
know
about?

What is your take on cork flooring?

I don't know a lot about it, but it would not be my choice for a kitchen.