Arch

Default Musing about lathes Evolution and survival vs disappearance ofspecies

The new, to me, Robust Lathe is an intriguing animal. It looks to be in
the same family as Oneway, but with species differences. The belly is
stainless steel and the vertebral column is diamond shaped. The tail can
be swished out of the way and the weight bearing joints are said to be
robust. Seems to be a step forward.

I've requested a catalog and there is a website altho WebTv can't access
some of it. (A common problem with my "computer" and my excuse for often
not
knowing much of what is going on. 'G')
I hope someone here will report on the Robust Lathe and other machines
that are new or newly imported to the North American market.

Anyway, many lathes that seem to be quality machines come and go, at
least they are rarely mentioned after their brief debut. A few remain
and have a small dedicated but silent cadre of owners. On rare occasions
a respected turner posts a glowing report about one of these orphan
lathes and a few other owners chime in.

Why is it that when two machines seem to be of same price and quality
and appear to function equally well, one becomes a popular standard and
the other, like old woodturners, just fades away?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter