Tim Williams

Any HCl solution will dissolve copper oxides and other verdegris without
touching the metal (being a noble metal). Muriatic acid cut 1:3 will do it
just fine. Mind to rinse it very well (first with a mild baking soda
solution) and wear protection because HCl is a strong mineral acid.

Instead of vinegar + lemon juice, you should try vinegar concentrated with
salt. Leave it in for a few days to a week (make sure to fully submerge
it!) and it's good as new.

Beware of bimetallic things like pots and pans with copper bottoms, the
stainless will corrode away with HCl and probably cause electrolytic
corrosion in the sour salt solution.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

"Two and a Half" wrote in message
Hi

I am in need of some advice for cleaning copper. I have used a vinegar and
lemon juice solution but it seems to leave a slight discolouration on the
copper and as well as smelling a bit rank it still requires some removal

of
the surface debris by hand. I have heard that hydrochloric acid is a

better
solution to use but I have no idea what percentage strength it would have

be or if there are any other better solutions available to buy and/or mix.

Any advice would be appreciated

Craig
www.twoandahalf.co.uk