Peter Parry

Default Asbestos in loft

On 6 May 2004 08:07:41 -0700, (Philip)
wrote:

Decided to clear out part of the loft, but I think I may have found
some asbestos pipe insulation up there.

How old is the house?

It is in pieces around 18 inches long, and is semi-circular. So two
pieces would surround a pipe and stay put with tape. The inside of
the insulation appears to made of a white powdery substance.

Taped in place it sounds to be rather too modern to be asbestos and
could be fibreglass or ceramic insulation. Chrysotile is an
obviously fibrous substance - not particularly powdery.

Now I have seen it I dont plan to touch it, but does anyone know if
there is any assistance available for safe removal of this stuff?

Not as you might expect, the asbestos removal scam is one of the more
profitable in local government. You ask the council to inspect/test.
They do (and charge you) and report it is chrysotile. They tell you
to use a "licensed" removal firm who will only charge you about
£2,000 to £5,000 for removing it.

On your site they wear fancy suits and breathing apparatus. Once
around the corner it all comes off and the harmless waste goes in the
tip.

There are no known cases of chrysotile (white asbestos) causing any
illness except in a few cases of occupational exposure to large
amounts over many years (blue asbestos is a different problem,
although the risk even then is minuscule from single exposure, but
you are highly unlikely to come across blue). In theory a single
particle of asbestos can cause illness. In practice it is a
naturally occurring product and every person in the country breathes
in quite a number of particles each and every day. Needless to say
those who make huge amounts of money from the clearance scam are the
most voluble in proclaiming the "risks".

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/