Walter R.

Sounds like a very sensible approach. You are saying then, for $ 9 I can buy
a GFIC outlet and forget about this problem?

Kind regards

--
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast: www.rationality.net

----
"toller" wrote in message

"Walter R." wrote in message
According to this site, in my 1983 home, the garage outlets and exterior
outlets were required to be on GFCI circuits. Looks to me like a sloppy
electrician who put some of the outlets on the required GFCI breakers and
ignored the rest.

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/ne...ment_page2.pdf

Is the info at this URL incorrect?

Pesumably Mr. Holt is accurate, but it doesn't much matter.
I wasn't doing electrical back then, so I don't know what code required,
but my house is also 1983 and only had GFCIs in the bathrooms. I would be
willing to bet it met code.

The local electrical code typically refers to a specific version of the
NEC, with some adjustments. The version specified is often not the
latest. So, the fact that the 1981 NEC called for GFCIs in the garage
doesn't mean your local code did. The local code could have referred to
an old NEC, or it could have specifically exempted garages; or the
building inspector could have made it know that he didn't care about
garages.

Besides, what does it matter 22 years later? For $9 you can be a sport.