cs

Philip Wagstaff wrote:
We're having a power shower installed; ie shower with a pump 1.5 atmospheres
I think. We want copper pipes. The plumber urges us to use white plastic (I
do not know what type) pipes because he says it reduces the number of
connections which, he says, will inevitably leak Does he have a point?
We'd appreciate knowledgeable comments/advice.

In a previous posting a month or so ago I mentioned my brand new Barratt
house where I had three leaks in just over a year. What kind of plumbing
had Barratt installed? The kind of white plastic with push fittings, at
least a hundred on them on three bathrooms and the central heating. The
fittings are alleged (by the manufacturer) to last at least 20 years,
but I allege that a hundred push fittings on plastic pipes in a house is
a recipe for disaster. Plastic pipes - probably OK, it's the joins that
are going to pop.

On the continent (I've lived in Switzerland, Germany and have built in
France) plumbers arrive with rolls of copper or plastic pipes - not a
single hidden join in sight. Maybe you could propose to your plumber to
do the same.