JC

Default New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished...

I've been saving money and building my small 20x20 shop for the last
two years. I equipped it all at once with new machines, tools, etc.
(since I didn't have anything to begin with).

My first project, naturally, is a workbench which I completed today. It
still needs finish, I'm thinking shellac to seal the thirsty MDF and
then varnish. I'm very pleased with my first attempt. I honestly don't
have a piece of furniture this nice in my house which is o.k. since I
don't live in the house anymore. I LIVE IN THE SHOP! (I'm a bachelor).

The front vise is Lee Valley's import quick-release which works great.
The end vise I made with Lee Valley's vise screw and some iron pipe.
The top is three layers of MDF glued up. Very flat, very strong, very
heavy.

It's quite an ongoing learning experience. It's amazing how many
mistakes you can make on one single piece of wood I'm hooked now,
woodworking is like a drug, although more expensive than any drug I've
ever heard of

I've got lots of pictures if you'd like to have a look:

http://members.cox.net/spam1/index.htm

gotta get back out to the shop,
later,
john