Unquestionably Confused

on 5/27/2005 6:11 PM Ivan Vegvary said the following:
Just picked up the above saw at a garage sale. Excellent condition except
that that the rip distance indicator does not work. All the other functions
work.

While I don't think it is too outlandish to charge $35 for an encoder,
having to pay more than $ 10 shipping from Sears is outrageous. Does
anybody here know of a second source for parts. Who actually made this saw
and is it available under a different brand name.

Stanley Tool Works and Starret all make replacements for the rip
distance indicator on those saws. They are called rulers. I'll be
damned if I'd spend $1.00 to replace the damn thing, let alone, $45.00.