Christopher Tidy

Eric R Snow wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:19:11 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

I have this grinder that runs at 1725 rpm so it should have 4 poles.
Shouldn't I be able to tell which wires are for which poles by
checking the resistance? And If that works, can it be re-connected as
a two pole machine and still work at 115 volts? This is a capacitor
start/run machine with two identical windings and it uses two
capacitors to provide the phase shift. I don't know if the caps are
connected in parallel but it seems they should be as the motor only
runs in one direction. No starting windings in this motor, no
centrifigul switches.

Possibly. A few permanent split-phase capacitor motors are designed for
two- or three-speed operation. Is there any useful information on the
data plate?

Chris

No. It's a Baldor motor. Two voltage capability. But nothing about
different speeds.
ERS

The dual voltage capability will be the reason for the two identical
main windings. They will be connected in parallel for 115 V operation or
in series for 230 V operation. They aren't intended for speed control. I
think the only way you can vary the speed of this motor is to change the
supply frequency.

Hope this helps,

Chris