stu_e

using a straight wire to ground is shorting the two points out. however they
are already shorted by chassis grounds internally. so, the only difference
between the 2 points is distance and that allows noise to get on the line.

your body acts like a filter ( a capacitor). if you want to try installing a
more permanent filter, try installing a 0.1 micro farand,200vac cap between
the pc case and earth ground....about 50 cents at radio shack.

"andy12345" wrote in message
Hello,
It has come to my attention recently - after using computer
communications voice software that I can reduce the hum of the
microphone recording by lightly touching my pc case.
I was always under the impression that the earthing worked in my room.
However, I have bypassed the psu earth temporarily simply by
connecting a wire from a clamp in the pc case(unpainted surface) to
the earth contact hole of the mains socket.
This does not reduce the hum at all. However, by touching the case
and touching the floor with the other hand I can reduce the hum on
the signal. Therefore, is the earthing failing at some point in the
house or is there something that I am ignorant of?

I can supply any information if you require more detail.
thanks
goodbye