jo4hn

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2005 02:52:43 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:26:01 GMT, Patrick Conroy wrote:

Second "PC" was a //e that I upped to 128K to run Apple (UCSD) Pascal.
That was fun...

AAAAAAAAAARGH! Someone mentioned UCSD Pascal!

Please, please don't do that. Just for that - FORTAN 77!!!!

Humph. Late comer. How about Fortran I and FAP, later MAP and Fortran
II.

'79 or '80 is as early as I get, having been 12 years old at the time.

Lots of people writing good stuff to augment the manufacturer's
offerings, including CARE (CDC 924 assembler), Boolfinder (JPL 7044 link
editor), and a memory management system for 360 75's running RTOS/JPLOS
(can't remember the name). The last three are unfair because I wrote
them (most of them anyway) in about 1963, 1968, and 1971.

/tip of the hat

Ahead of me, also...I was just getting out of HS in '63 and didn't get
to touch the IBM 1620 as freshman back then...had a full semester of
hand-coding starting w/ binary, then machine language to prepare us for
FORTRAN coding forms...

My first computer was the Burroughs E101, an externally programmed clank
which was about the size of a desk and did about as much. At UCLA in
the early 60's, the Math dept. had the SWAC with a 1401 (?) front end
and the Fortran club used the WDPC IBM7090 which was state of the art.
Jeez, some of the hardware of the time was nearly psychotic.
glork,
j4