Dave Hinz

On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:07:47 GMT, RogerN wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for Antivirus and Spam elimination (or
reduction) software. I find plenty out there but would like to hear from
users instead of the advertisments and claims made on the box. Any
favorites?

(Didn't we just do this?)

AVG antivirus from www.grisoft.com and AdAware from www.lavasoft.com
will get you 99% of the way there. Spybot Search & Destroy will get you
the rest of the way, but it's hard to learn.

Get the names exactly right, lots of imitators out there who (a) charge
(these 3 are free), (b) don't deliver anti-anything, and (c) make things
worse.

Also, I use a dial up connection on my desktop computer and have a wireless
network to my laptop. Any recommendations on proxy server software?

I've used and been very happy with Allegrosurf from rhinosoft.com -
sharware, not expensive, and does filtering, pre-fetch if you want, and
so on. Haven't used it since I switched to Mac, but you can use the
full version for free for (a month or so?).

Wish I could sue Microsoft for
making my computer do things I never requested or gave permission for it to
do.

Well, you could just not get your next OS from them...