Tom Gardner

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

I'm looking for recommendations for Antivirus and Spam elimination (or
reduction) software. I find plenty out there but would like to hear from
users instead of the advertisments and claims made on the box. Any
favorites?

Also, I use a dial up connection on my desktop computer and have a
wireless
network to my laptop. Any recommendations on proxy server software? I
have
it working now with the Default Gateway but have no control of hanging up
or
dialing from the laptop. I wish I could just "Share" the modem like you
would a drive or printer. I tried windows internet connection sharing a
few
times and when it did work, it would dial the internet when no one was
operating the computer. (I'm guessing some software (adobe, real player,
quicktime) was trying to check for updates. Wish I could sue Microsoft
for
making my computer do things I never requested or gave permission for it
do.

My favorites, all free, a

AVG http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
Mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/
Easy cleaner http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/9zwd6/easy_cleaner.htm (be
carefull)
Spybot S&D
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=button
Adaware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Bart pe http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ (be carefull)
Microsoft spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Always looking for better but here's the best mix I know of. I have also
gotten specilized tools from Sophos for certain bugs. Also, I never keep
anything on a computer that I would care if the rest of the world sees. No
bank stuff, credit card stuff, no plans to shoot people.