Chris Bacon

Thanks guys, some good ideas already. I'm not sure that magnets or
velcro will work for me as the weight of a tiled panel might be to
much. Can't go with Chris's suggestion either because the lip of the
bath is sat on the timber frame (shelf). At the moment I'm favouring
using a number of 'double ball catches' similar to this :-

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/94/p1387894_x.jpg

If I use at least 4 per panel, I think that should take the weight and
keep the panels in place. The only difficulty I can perceive is in
getting all of the catches properly aligned in the first place.

As I'm writing, it's just occured to me that I might be able to hinge
the panels at the top and use these simple catches near the bottom to
help with the weight issue.

So you could have:

____ "shelf"
lip of bath / \ /
MDF strip - |@| - "@" is a packing piece, screw through
| MDF strip to secure all to panel.
|
| - bath panel to be tiled.

[] is a timber screwed to []|\
the floor as a "stop" []== - quadrant screwed to strip to pack/
hold the bath panel into position.

The idea is quite uncomplicated, and strong - you need to try and
stop the panel bending. I should use something thicker than 1/4",
probably 1/2", and also screw a bracing frame to the back of the
panel, where it will fit - some 2x1s might do the job.

What sort of tiles are you thinking of using? How are you fixing
them on?

Going back to your first and very simple idea, could you use mirror
screws?