Larry Jaques

On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:29:10 GMT, the inscrutable John Santos
spake:

I said:
Wouldn't you want the same (or physically similar) wood so they had
the same expansion/contraction rates? That's what I've always read.

I've noticed that David Marks always seems to use the same wood for
the tenons as the pieces he's joining. I wondered if that was the
reason why, or if it was just because there was usually plenty of
scrap available. But why else use something expensive for the tenons
since they don't show? Is there another reason or is it for stability?

Stability, but there's always scrap which can be used from each
project. By using the same wood in the same grain direction, he keeps
from having any trouble with different expansion rates. His loose
tenons don't explode the wood they're in during the humid seasons.

(He also always veneers both sides of his base stock, and has
explicitly said that's for stability, but often uses a different
(nice, but cheaper) wood for the side that doesn't show.)

Right. It lessens cupping.

--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---