SouthForkSam

Have you considered soap stone? It is affordable, it can be cut and
workerd with common power tools (skill saw, router etc), and should
provide the durability you want in an outdoor setting. The only
downside I can see is that it is only available in dark colors.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am working on a outdoor kitchen / prep center which includes a 2x8
counter top.
Has anyone had any experience with these for outdoor use, or can you
suggest any other alternatives.

Rather than a plywood base, use MDO as it is made for outdoor use. I just
completed a grill cart for prep/serving and the plans called for MDO and
ceramic tile. Since it is only completed about a week ago, I have no
practical experience with it but it was not difficult to do and looks pretty
good. As for durability, I'll get back to you in September, 2011.