BigWallop

"James" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently bought some converta (white plastic) sockets to convert my

single
plugs to doubles as easy as possible. The instructions clearly state that
the earth terminal on the new socket should be connected to the metal wall
box, if a metal one is present, as well as obviously being connected to

the
main earth wires that go into the walls. The boxes are recessed and are
flush with the walls.

There are no terminals on my wall boxes, so I just connected a piece of

wire
to one of the screw holes that are not used on the box from the earth
terminal on the converta socket. I did this by wrapping the wire around

the
unused screw hole. It was covered in dust and debris, so I don't really

know
if it is making good contact.

I cannot understand why this is needed if the mains earth is connected and
the metal box is not exposed? Is there any major issue with what I have
done?

Thanks,

James

No major issues, but one thing does spring to my mind. If the metal box is
completely covered by your new boxes, then why fix an earth tag to it at
all? It might actually have been safer to leave the boxes disconnected from
any earth ground if they are not actually being used to house the working
part of the sockets. But I can't see the job, so my comments are only based
on speculations.