Bob Brogan

In article . 201,
Nate Perkins wrote:

"C & M" wrote in
:

I'd like to hear some opinions on wipe-ons. I haven't been happy with
the standard fare of brush on poly. Yea, I'm nearly a rank amateur

I like both Waterlox and Minwax Antique Oil as wipe-on finishes. But the
finish I use most often is an oil (tung or linseed) followed by shellac.

Flecto Varithane
"Natural Oil" works great, esp on Oak. I've used it for 20 years or
more. The trick is to polish the wood with 600 and then apply the finish
with paper towels, very thin and polish inbetween coats. When you get
4-6 coats the finish gets a depth to it that you can see. At the end you
can wax or leave it as is. The finish is thin, lets the wood show
through and is repairable. Someone sets a wet glass and you get a
ring...a bit of polishing and some more thin finish and all is well.
--
Thanks,
Ham