James

Default metal wall box has no earth terminal issue

Hi,

I recently bought some converta (white plastic) sockets to convert my single
plugs to doubles as easy as possible. The instructions clearly state that
the earth terminal on the new socket should be connected to the metal wall
box, if a metal one is present, as well as obviously being connected to the
main earth wires that go into the walls. The boxes are recessed and are
flush with the walls.

There are no terminals on my wall boxes, so I just connected a piece of wire
to one of the screw holes that are not used on the box from the earth
terminal on the converta socket. I did this by wrapping the wire around the
unused screw hole. It was covered in dust and debris, so I don't really know
if it is making good contact.

I cannot understand why this is needed if the mains earth is connected and
the metal box is not exposed? Is there any major issue with what I have
done?

Thanks,

James