Leon

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

It doesn't matter Leon - the books were bought and paid for before they
were
shipped out.

EXACTLY!

It was a marketing gamble.

EXACTLY!

Returning the book will do nothing to impact the cost of purchasing them
and shipping them out.

No, it will not. No bearing on the cost at all but the profit on the
campaign goes down as they realise it will. Sooo when deciding what price
to charge for the book they simply offer the book at a higher price across
the board to start with to make up for the ones that they speculate will not
be paid for. Those that do buy the book are also paying for the books that
are not paid for.

But you need to remember that the cost of the book is a fixed cost. The
price to you and I if we decide to buy the book is jacked up to compensate
for that percentave that they figured will not be paid for when distributed
in this maner.

The price of the book is marked up to hopefully produce a given percentage
of profit after factoring all normal costs + zero return for units uned in a
campaign such as this. Take this type campaign out of the mix and the
profit goes up per unit and maybe the price of the book goes for $8 instead
of $9.