G&M

Default Microbore Earth Bonding

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"G&M" wrote:

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
Or simply don't bother. There has been a lot of discussion on this

in
the
IEE and general consensus is it isn't needed in dry rooms.

Ummm... depends what you mean by a dry room. Personally I'd not bother
to bond anything anywhere except in the bathroom: not even in the
kitchen or "cloakroom", but AIUI bonding in the bathroom (section
60-something, "locations containing a bath or shower") is strictly
required within the zones, and very few bathrooms have the kinds of
dimensions which mean that such items are outside the zones.

Agreed, bathrooms definitely need earth bonding. If you are using a

towel
rail this is easiest as you can often do it on the mounts.

For kitchen it depends where the radiator is. If you can't touch it and

the
sink I'd regard it as dry.

I'd probably bond in the cloakroom if I had a radiator there.

Why though? The only reason to be worried would, I think, be if you are
concerned that there will be 50V (that's what bonding is supposed to
prevent) between one of the taps and the radiator for enough time to
cause you problems. If the rest of your system is up to scratch (main EP
bonding, earthing, circuit protection devices) then this is unlikely to
be the case I'd think.

Our earth (actually the neutral in from an aerial line) is about 70 volts
away from the ground outside. Plastic piping and drainage in theory stops
the taps and radiators being at outside ground but prefer to enforce the
issue.

Would like to connect my earth to ground outside but there are four farms
downstream of me and my earthing spike would have to be capable of handling
their fault conditions which in our well drained soil may not be possible.