alexy

"Leon" wrote:

"alexy" wrote in message
.. .
"Leon" wrote:

Are you suggesting he send this one back to help hold down the cost of
books for the rest of the woodworking community as well as his future
books? Surely you jest. I'm as much of a believer in TANSTAAFL as the
next guy, but that doesn't make it an absolute truth. You've got to
stretch pretty far to consider this not free.

Absolutely not. Gong with the theme of many not liking this approach to
marketing, of the thousands of books that get tossed and not paid for, those
that do buy from that company end up paying for that book. It would be far
cheaper on those buying the books if the publisher sent out a letter with a
request to review and buy the book.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think you or I have the data to know this --
at least I don't. Most printing of which I am aware has a fairly large
fixed cost and fairly small variable cost. It's a trivial exercise to
create two different scenarios with fixed versus variable costs,
response rates to a promotion like they did versus response to one
like you propose, with one scenario showing the approach you use to
create lower cost books for those who subscribe, and another scenario
to show the approach they used to end up with lower cost books for
subscribers.

But it is still free to those who got it and didn't pay.