Thomas D. Ireland

I was considering buying this router but it is a new product as of
December. Any more tidbits please post the latest, Thank You!!!

Tom

WillR ) wrote:
: King 8367 3 1/2 HP router ($130 CDN retail price)

: Plunge Mechanism band-aid fix

: If you have the King Router consider making the following change --
: particularly if it is bench/table mounted. If you have this router and
: the rubber washer is ground up or gone I suggest you do this fix
: immediately -- to make it significantly better. This should also prevent
: breakage of the plastic knurled nut -- or make it last significantly longer.

: If you are using a Router Raizer or similar -- DO NOT ADJUST HEIGHT WITH
: BIT SPINNING -- the wobble is a serious safety issue. (IMO)

: The problem is that the plunge mechanism is not as good as it needs to
: be -- it wobbles when you plunge, and worse if it is table mounted the
: rubber washer on the depth adjustment knob grinds up. Also, there is a
: plastic threaded, knurled nut at the end of the attachment knob -- which
: now breaks due to excess friction.

: Fix -- two washers the more slippery the better. I used steel 3/8 ID to
: test the fix.

: If the rubber washer is in good condition -- keep it -- otherwise get a
: new rubber washer with a 3/8 (11mm?) centre.

: Using a clear table -- so you can spot any parts that drop out (two tiny
: pins)... Remove the adjustment handle/rod while compressing the router.
: Note the two steel pins in the knurled knob. Have all the pieces handy,
: plus some spray lube. I kept the parts handy and held the router
: compressed while spraying lube on all the parts. I then reassembled as
: follows...

: 1 Metal washer (against case)
: 2. Rubber washer (important -- this is a shock absorber)
: 3. Metal washer
: 4. Knurled knob -- two pinholes up -- on or two turns only
: 5. Handle -- with pins poking into holes on knurled knob.

: then turn until it reengages thread on rod.

: This is a band-aid solution. It does not fix the plunge mechanism. It
: does allow you to use it as a very good table router.

: Compressing the rubber washer between two steel washers allows you to
: make use of the shock absorber action which allows the plunge mechanism
: to bind significantly less. My router does not bind -- but then it is a
: new replacement... Suspect it would have fixed the old one though.

: I spoke to the project manager at King and they are
: 1) working on a permanent fix for the washer/knob problem, and they are
: 2) working on a better plunge mechanism -- a bushing fix most likely.
: 3) They will consider making the fixes available as a kit.

: Hope this helps you if you have the router.

: King has said they will make dealers and repair centres aware of this
: fix/band aid.

: --
: Will
: Occasional Techno-geek