Charlie Self

Doug Miller wrote:
In article Q9nle.641$zb.194@trndny02, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

I am curious to know if this is a standard industry practice or something
that recently happened to reduce prices. Why do you feel I'm wrong in
wanting to know that? Airlines sell tickets to the same destination on the
same plane at different rates at different times. I just want to know if
magazines do that.

I'm *sure* it's standard industry practice. ISTM that *most* magazines do
that: send out the initial renewal invoice six to nine months before your
subscription expires and hope you renew; then, if you don't, as your
subscription expiry date approaches, send out further invoices at
progressively lower prices until you finally take the hook.

It has gone on for decades. Something over 35 years ago, we had a
subscription to Life, at about a nickel a copy. We didn't have time to
read it, so let it lapse (this was about '67 or '68). It kept coming
until we left that address in late '72. But the nickel a copy, IIRC,
was down from something like 15-20 cents for a regular subscription,
which was a dime or more under newsstand rates.

Of course, if you want hear about a real scam artist, talk to A.J.
about the outfit that is still trying to sell Woodshop News subs for
about $72. Nothing to do with WSN, but they do suck some people in
(they also sell subs to Newsweek and similar mags at exorbitant rates).