No

Get the termite inspection report. I don't think that the termite guy will
be in a position to evaluate past and present damage from termites. I would
think your regular inspector would be in a better position for that.

So - You need really two inspections...

One - termites active or not. If active, how much for eradication?

Two - Termite damage inspection. I would call some home inspectors and ask
them if they can do this type of inspection in a non-destructive way. Did
the inspector make any comments about prior damage, fixed or not?

Definitely do not run screaming of you like the house. Most things are
fixable. Just know what you are getting into. I had to replace two floor
joists in my fathers house due to termite damage. What a mess.

For a quick check yourself - Check all the wood near where you saw the mud
tunnel. Use an ice pick and poke and prod all the wood. Everything should be
solid. If the pick goes in then there is damage. If the house has vinyl
siding and the mud tube goes behind, you may need to carefully remove some
of it to follow the tube. It could be all the way to the second floor in the
tube, behind the siding. Seen it.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi folks,

My wife and I just put an offer in our first home (which was built in the
40's) and the offer was accepted.

During the home inspection it was revealed that there was a full termite
treatment done in the past (many holes drilled in foundation wall in
basement that were sealed). The treatment must have been done sometime
after 1993 because there was treatment in the addition which was built in
1993.

The scarier part was that there was one mud tunnel found as well.

So...should we run away screaming? Should we pay for $150-$200 for a pest
inspector and get his opinion? If we took the home are we running a
decent
chance of have a lot of trouble in the future?

This is in Massachusetts where termites aren't as common as they are in
the
south or west. But, we absolutely love the home and are depressed at the
thought of losing it. We also don't want to take any stupid risks.

What should we do? Should we walk away?

Thanks a lot for the advice!