John Rumm

Default Air Conditioning unit advice wanted

Huge wrote:

- How do I spec how much cooling I need? The room is 24 by 12 and the
9,000 BTU/h Haier cannot cope.

I have seen one formula suggested that was volume of room (cubic feet) X
5 = btu/hour required.

You are then supposed to add something for the number of people and also
for heat generating kit. (where 1 watt is approx 3.4 btu/h IIRC)

So assuming your room is 8' high then you would be looking at 12,000
btu/h minimum - possibly more if you are dealing with solar radiation
through a window for example.

- Can anyone recommend a split unit? One of the ones I've seen says
that the umbilical is "disconnectable" (*), which would be excellent,
because then I could run it through the hole I made in the wall for the
monobloc's exhaust.

This link somone posted the other day on one of the threads seems to
have quite alot of info on self installable kit.

http://www.globalcooling.org.uk

- What's a good price? All the ones I've seen so far are from ?700 to
?1000 and more. And a good way of benchmarking it - per kilowatt of cooling?

On the link above they listed for example:-

Haier 12,000 btu 3.3 kw Cooling Only at 565 inc VAT + about 130 quid for
the self install kit.

- Can anyone recommend a good supplier? Then I can call them and not bother
you lot.

Don't worry, most of us like talking about this sort of stuff - and
winding up those that don't can be fun as well ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.