Charley

If I had to do that I think I would probably try to build a fixture that I
could position on the curve that would allow me to use a plunge router to
make the mortices at the correct position/angle. For the tenons (and
possibly the mortices), I would use my Leigh FMT jig (because I just got
it), but you could quite easily build a fixture (like a T with a hole in the
center of it) similar in shape to the FMT jig that would allow you to rout
the end of the slats and make the tenons. The slat would be clamped to the
verticle leg of the T and the router would ride along the top of the T
cutting the tenon through a hole in the center of the top of the T (tough to
describe).

Like the other responder, I'm wondering how you would repair this thing at a
later date. Possibly you could make the curved rail removable so replacement
slats could be installed. You might also consider making a sub frame that
would hold the slats and then fasten into the larger frame. It could later
be removed and repaired without dis-assembling the whole gate.

--
Charley

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
A friend of mine approached me with a rough drawing of a driveway gate
design today. The simplest way to describe it would be a frame and

panel
design, except that instead of a panel it would use slats or pickets in

the
field. The design would use a curved top rail and straight stiles and
bottom rail. We had envisioned using M&T's to attach the slats to the
rails. While it has raised numerous questions in my neophyte mind, the
biggest one for now is how I would cut the tenons and their shoulders to

go
into a curved frame. I imagine that I could establish a line where the
shoulder should be and rough out the material in an expedient manner and
then work to the line with chisels, rasps, files, etc. Is there a

better,
more consistent, more expedient way to do this? Did any of this make
sense?

SteveP.

think of how you'd replace a broken slat.