Dermot O'Loughlin

Default Central heating using radiators in an open plan house with high ceilings

Quite wrong. In a changable climate UFH requires a decent control system,
otherwise it can be caught out, being either too hot or too cold. One which
anticipates the fall or rise in temperature, as outside weather
compensation, is the best.

This would reflect the information given to me by a friend who has
recently built a house and installed UFH. She said that if given the
option again she would go for rads. The point she made was that it was
too hard to control. She said on an average day in spring or autumn
she would need no heating during the day but would like to turn it on
as required - in the evening time or at night. She said the lack of
responsiveness of the UFH meant that she always needs to plan ahead -
she could get caught out too easily having the house too hot or too
cold. Maybe it's because she does not have the correct controls to
effectivly manage the system.

I am just coming to the conclusion that our climate does not really
suit UFH. We have a long winters but in the main they are fairly mild
- rarely do we get extended cold snaps that may require a heating
system that does not need to be responsive.