Steve Lusardi

The Febis line is from ESSO and the correct product for a precision roller
bearing headstock is K32. K32 has an advertised viscosity of 140 - 170
Saybolt. K68 is gearbox and apron oil. If the lathe has plain bearings on
the headstock spindle, then K68 can be used there as well, but only if the
spindle does NOT use tapered rollers.
Steve

"machine84" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just purchased a "new" lathe........ 1950's American Pacemaker. The
owners manual calls for a high grade machine oil with a viscosity of
275-290 seconds Saybolt at 100* F. My local distributor is telling me
to use Febis K 68 as both an internal lubricant and as the slideway
oil. According to a chart that I found online, the Febis K 68 has a
Saybolt viscosity rating of 315 seconds Saybolt at 100* F (the correct
ISO numbers for the viscosity called for would be between 59 and
63....I don't think there are any in production with any of those
numbers). I am unsure as to whether it is safe to use this internally.
It is advertised as a slideway oil, so I think it would be fine there.
It probably is fine for the head and gearbox, but I just want the
advice of others with experience in these matters. Thanks!!