Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Ray Field wrote:
This is more electrical than machine shop but somewhere in the collected
wisdom of the group will be an answer.
Normally an electric brush type motor will have "no"sparking at the
armature, what does sparking indicate and what is the cure.
This occurred on a built-in vacuum cleaner motor. Relay/switch module
failed, bypassing the module allowed the motor to run normally. Pulled the
brushes, lots of brush left and free movement - reinstalled brushes in same
position lots of sparks.
All advice appreciated.

If you can find a "Commutator brush seating stone", try using it against
the spinning commutator while the motor is running. (Please don't
electrocute yourself.)

I had one of them back when I encountered more "universal" brush type
motors. It was a soft white abrasive stone about 4" long and maybe 3/8"
x 3/16" cross section. I could usually find a path to shove it through
so the end could reach the commutator, though YMMV.

You can probably still get them through automotive electrical supply places.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I have used common chalkboard chalk to help seat brushes