Stephen M

My experience with fuming white oak indicated that extra time did not darken
the wood more, but it did deepen the darkening.

That is, my fuming was done for 2-3 days and the color penetration was at
least 1/8" (way more than you would sand through).

When I came up a little short and needed to add a little material to finish
off one area, the quickie 6-hour fume brought me to the right color, but
sanding revealed a lighter tone.

So, my recomendation would me to leave it a while *longer* after you reach
the desired color.

FWIW, I used hosehold ammonia and it appeared to work just fine.

Steve

"B a r r y" wrote in message
I'm thinking about trying to fume some white oak. The first project
will be a 42x72 dining table.

I have a 5x10, enclosed, water tight utility trailer. I think the
trailer may make a great enclosure to fume such a large item. When I'm
happy with the color, I can simply leave the doors and roof vents open
to purge the air.

Comments? Suggestions?

Barry